I used to think I love packing, and I did. Until my last trip to Thailand where I had a 37 kg baggage allowance. Yes, you read that correctly.
Of course I took advantage of that and filled my luggage with all unnecessary items, from dresses to swimsuits I never used. During my 15 days stay in Thailand I had to repack my bags at least 5 times, it was so exhausting and so time consuming to the point I was annoyed. But it made me think of my extreme minimalist packing style, it made me remember the time I packed for WINTER (-20C) and all my clothes fit in just one carry-on.
Now let’s go back some months ago, when I planned my trip to the Arctic Circle. I found some cheap flights and good connections so I immediately booked them (I have no second thoughts when it comes to booking flights)… who else is like me?
There is only one problem – the round trip had a total of 6 flights and each flight had a different luggage policy so I decided to fly only with a 10kg check-in bag.
Yes, I’m that crazy! Before you say anything, I was aware that without adequate cold weather gear the expedition would be without a doubt compromised… however when it comes to packing I’m an absolute expert.
Here is my packing list and my packing secret – I also spent 2 days in Helsinki so everything needed to fit in the same carry-on.
The packing List:
- thermal long underwear
- one jacket – TIP: Choose a jacket with inside pockets that are big enough for you phone, go pro, wallet
- waterproof ski jacket
- waterproof ski pants
- leggings and trousers to wear under the ski pants
- blouses and sweaters for layering
- bathing suit
- normal socks to layer up and wool socks
- waterproof ski gloves
- normal gloves
- one wool scarf
- a woolen hat
- a trapper hat with ear flaps that buckle under your chin to keep your ears extra warm
- waterproof boots
- flip flops
- Shampoo in small 100ml container
- hair mask (I usually buy one hairmask that will fit perfectly in my carry-on, it is so much simpler and you can throw it away after one use making more room in your luggage)
- sheet mask – same principle
- moisturiser – as much as I hate to bring lots of creams with me, this is a must have when traveling somewhere cold
- sunscreen – just because it’s cold doesn’t mean you can’t get a sunburn.
- makeup remover
- micellar water
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- deodorant, perfume
- pain relievers
- a small bag
- hand and toe warmers (they literally take up a minimal space in your suitcase and also a lifesaver for cold weather)
- external batteries
- go pro
- memory cards
Believe it or not, I managed to fit everything in my carry-on bag.
Are you familiar with the Rock, Pebbles and Sand analogy/ Metaphor? well this is what I use for packing, not to mention I occasionally adopt the sit-on-the-suitcase method.
My favourite packing method is the military style roll, that combined with packing cubes will reduce the volume in your bag significantly.
After traveling with a heavy bag, I learned my lesson, I will never complain about taking less stuff with me on a trip. I survived the coldest winter vacation having all my clothes in a carry-on, believe me, it’s not that bad.
Would you rather travel light or with a heavy luggage?